a resource community for jcink roleplays. we provide codes, graphics, feedback and support for anything roleplay related, while also joining together in an inclusive and supportive community.

Add Reply
New Poll

events! events!
Yoshimelon
 Posted: Aug 17 2015, 04:00 AM

Yoshimelon

さいごのときまで
gallery:

specialty

sad sports

founders

We all love a good IC event. What are some of the best ones you've been a part of, and how did it play out?

I personally have never had much luck with events, outside of the general ball/festival themes. About 6 years ago I was on a site where the ball was a city-wide event, and it was actually very fun! There were multiple threads with multiple shenanigans, and a fun (disastrous) time was had by all.

PMEmail
^
jawn
 Posted: Aug 19 2015, 10:00 AM

jawn

Give me the D! /presses D on the keys
gallery:

specialty

coding, skinning, graphics, scripts, err—f*cking up adulthood

Members
N/A

Mostly balls too. But the most memorable one was a masquerade ball, wherein I hid the miniprofiles of a certain board. So you were literally blindly roleplaying with other people. The best part was when you have to guess who you are roleplaying with.

user posted image
PM
^
Springsteen
 Posted: Aug 19 2015, 05:40 PM

Springsteen

ride like a one-eyed jack of diamonds
gallery:

specialty

being rad/graphics

Members
N/A

QUOTE (jawn @ Aug 19 2015, 03:00 PM)
Mostly balls too. But the most memorable one was a masquerade ball, wherein I hid the miniprofiles of a certain board. So you were literally blindly roleplaying with other people. The best part was when you have to guess who you are roleplaying with.

That.. is actually a brilliant idea.

I guess events are pretty relative, I've had some run very successfully (blizzard trapped a certain amount of characters in a library that may or may not have been haunted, Halloween board turned into a post-apocalyptic sandbox nightmare with any kind of supernatural creature/phenomena you wanted to play and a festival like woodstock) and then some that just.. were ahem.. 'non-events'.

I haven't done an event in a long time, but I love them when they turn out well - its just such a pain figuring out what worked and what didn't. Takes a while, I've been running my site for about four years now and I still haven't worked it all out in regards to events.

What I have discovered, is that on my board, its better to give the players control - sandbox is always more responsive, but give them like a rough timeline of things that they can incorporate into their threads (e.g, for the festival we had 'day 1' 'day 2' 'day 3' and had what acts were performing/what the party theme was for that day was) and of course, the option to play an event canon is good as well.

The worst event we ever ran was this super strict camping idea that had this super strict timeline. >.< Ugh, it was so bad..
PMEmail
^
hella
 Posted: Aug 25 2015, 04:27 PM

hella

#lego {display:block;}
gallery:

specialty

destruction

founders

i've never really had luck with events, honestly. i dunno if we just don't run them well enough or if it's just the member bases i've come across.

on my original site we were usually more restricted. we'd set up groups and have people sign up and then they'd do their threads. they worked out okay but they were never, ever finished, even when we set up deadlines for the events. it kinda sucked because we really needed to know the outcomes to continue on but they weren't there. so we kinda just had to guess?

on the revamped version we tried a more sandbox approach. we'd give four different scenarios, one focused on each member group but easily accessible by all of them, and they could make any threads they wanted related to them. no one participated, even after admins threw up their own ideas as examples.

so as of right now we kinda just scrapped events all together. we have weekly prompts instead and i dunno. we might bring an event back at some point but i definitely need to figure out how to actually get it to run properly... ><;

i have a dream i hope will come true

that you're here with me and i'm here with you

i wish the that the earth, sea, the sky up above

will send me someone to lava
PM
^
Yoshimelon
 Posted: Jan 4 2016, 12:01 AM

Yoshimelon

さいごのときまで
gallery:

specialty

sad sports

founders

I just started a new event on my site that will cause a lot of structural damage/inconvenience and people seem excited! It'll update every week or so throughout January at least with more things going wrong. It's an experiment for me but I'm excited to get it going.

PMEmail
^
enchanted kara
 Posted: Feb 21 2016, 10:24 PM

enchanted kara

N/A
gallery:

specialty

N/A

Members
N/A

site events are usually a fail for me. anytime I've ever done one on my sties either no one posts in them or the people that do are admins but no members. on my site now there is a snow storm happening and it's going to strand people places around the town. we also did it so that the characters were randomly paired with another character so they aren't necessarily threading with someone they would otherwise. it's fun to do those types of things sometimes. it's been a lot of fun so far.

, ISLANDS IN THE SUN
PM
^
Yoshimelon
 Posted: Feb 22 2016, 05:38 AM

Yoshimelon

さいごのときまで
gallery:

specialty

sad sports

founders

QUOTE (enchanted kara @ Feb 22 2016, 01:24 PM)
site events are usually a fail for me.  anytime I've ever done one on my sties either no one posts in them or the people that do are admins but no members.  on my site now there is a snow storm happening and it's going to strand people places around the town.  we also did it so that the characters were randomly paired with another character so they aren't necessarily threading with someone they would otherwise.  it's fun to do those types of things sometimes.  it's been a lot of fun so far.

I'm glad this one has been fun for you! I think events that stir things up are a lot more fun than the ones where you just have to kind of *hope* people will interact (like a ball etc). I love random pairings too, and why thread roulette is one of my favourite non-event things to have on a board. Sometimes it can be hard threading with people you don't know, so I think it's great that you're encouraging that with your event c:

PMEmail
^
DSpink
 Posted: Mar 17 2016, 05:39 PM

DSpink

N/A
gallery:

specialty

N/A

Members
N/A

We've actually had pretty successful site events such as treasure hunts, or having "Once Upon A Horror Story" combined with Disney Fairy tales where you have to convert the fairy tale into a scary story. Usually members of like 3-4 so that the thread wouldn't come to a sudden stop. The members were pretty stoked about it.

Masquerades usually tend to draw the most people in. But we also did a riddles one, and an emotions one where some random stranger passed out flowers and gave someone an emotion to feel for 24 hours (which ran for about 2 weeks).

So we've had a pretty successful run of site events. And if you promise them a shiny pixel award for participating they are totally up for it and it also helps revive some of their muse if they no longer want to run with the current story or plot of the board. Kind of like a 2 week to one month reprieve of sorts before getting back to business.
PM
^
Yoshimelon
 Posted: Mar 17 2016, 07:45 PM

Yoshimelon

さいごのときまで
gallery:

specialty

sad sports

founders

Haha shiny pixels are always very popular! That emotions event sounds great too. I love when there are things that like, modify your character some way from normal - whether it's throwing them in a situation they would never normally be in, to suddenly feeling things. They're the most fun imo.

PMEmail
^
Elena
 Posted: Mar 13 2018, 12:19 AM

Elena

N/A
gallery:

specialty

N/A

Members
N/A

Public festivals, balls, weddings, battles, a prisoners'exchange, a fort storming, a hurricane, an epidemic...

user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

panda directory Anthology

Template HQ All of Me ♥ Tales of Illyria All Our Masks Sengoku Horizon ideal world Avalon a Panfandom RP Yuri Roleplay City of Light: The 100 RPG The Supernatural Life RPG Blood Roses: OUaT RPG MARVEL: Lost Horizons RPG LEAVE ME LONELY Bleach Platinum Hearts  Project Genesis BLB Shinobi Generations a rf/hm based RP realm of the seven Break the Wheel: a Season 7 GOT AU

GRAPHICS GAMES Shadowplay

below the sun was created by our staff team in august 2015. our banner image is by tsukiji nao from adekan, and our skin was created by yoshimelon. all resources are posted with thanks to their original creators - if you see something of yours used without permission, please let a staff member know! our favicon is by yusuke kamiyamane, and our awards icons are by bitmapdreams and whimsical.